Saturday, August 08, 2015

Possessions

I saw a homeless young man last week and bought him some food.  It costs $3.85.  We engaged in a bit of a conversation long enough for me to know he has been living on the streets of Seattle for 2 years.

He was grateful for the food and went on his way.

Today I saw him again.  I greeted him and we exchanged pleasantries.  With great eagerness he pointed to a skateboard hanging from his shoulder.  He told me one of his friends had given it to him.  He was proud of that possession.
 
I seriously doubt that he has many possessions to call his own.  He borrows the parking lot where I work to sleep at night. 

And you and I have an abundance of stuff.  He was as proud of that skateboard as you and I might be of a new Lexus. 

Perspective. 

This exchange gave me a pause for reflection.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Up-Moments
One Moment at a Time