Tuesday, December 15, 2015

In July and in December

My friend Harold published a book a few years ago in which he tells this story.

John was divorced, with two young boys.  The week before Christmas the boys were with their mother and grandmother.  On Christmas Eve, John picked them up at the train station.  They were laden down with all kinds of Christmas loot. 

At their father’s home, later that night, they oohed and aahed as they showed him the gifts from their mother and grandmother.  When they finished, they looked around at the sparsely lit, small tree, and small smattering of gifts, and asked, “So Dad, what are you giving us?”

With careful words, John said, “Boys, all I have to give you is myself.  It’s not much, but it’s all I have.  I do promise this – I’ll never leave you.  I’ll always be there for you, not only in December, but in July as well.  For I love you.  You have my love.”

That speaks to me today. 

Is there really anything else we could desire but to be loved?

I’m full of Christmas love right now.

Merry Christmas.

(An abridged version, taken from The Gifts of Christmas by Harold Ivan Smith)

P Michael Biggs
Up-Words
Offering Up-Moments
One Moment at a Time