Sunday, March 18, 2012

Just For Today


“We do not need the courage 
to write a whole novel.  
We need the courage 
to write on the novel today."


Julia Cameron said this in The Right to Write.

Sage advice.

Do you sometimes procrastinate?

I do.

Some weeks, my favorite phrase is "Oh, I'll do that next week."







However ...

However, when I make the effort, say to write on my book, the ideas will come to me.  You notice I said "come to me."  I’m not chasing an idea at all. I simply show up and allow the ideas to find me.

Is this contrary to how you approach projects that cross your desk?


I find that those small nuggets of time turn into volumes.  Our job is simply to take advantage of those moments that come our way.

What can you work on, just for today?
    --A relationship?
        --A painting?
            --A broken door?
                --A letter to a long-time friend?

Just for today
Dab on some paint.
Hammer a few nails.
Write 8 measures of music

Do some something … just for today … and see what happens.