Friday, December 14, 2018

What I Need for Christmas


What I Need for Christmas

~ I need snow for it to really be Christmas.

~Not me.  I need at least 5 presents, all for me, for Christmas to come.

~Well, I need a Christmas tree with red ornaments and blue lights.

~No way, blue ornaments and blue lights.

~I need to be able to comfortably say “Merry Christmas.”

~You’re crazy.  It has to be “Happy Holidays” or I’m offended.


Oh my.  This could get crazy.  You want this.  I want that.  She wants the big sparkle.  He wants the shiny red.

In my years of living, I’ve had Christmas trees overflowing with presents under them.  And I’ve had Christmas trees with only two presents.  

Interesting thing, however.  I still had Christmas.  I still felt Christmas. 

A few Christmas Eve’s ago, Carolyn and I were walking a block to our dinner reservations.  A homeless man approached and asked if I could spare a buck.  I gave him a$10 with a “Merry Christmas”.  He seemed to need that.  I didn’t. 

I have known of friends who lived in oppressed countries where they were not allowed to openly celebrate Christmas, say the appropriate words, sing the songs or do anything that would give away that they were celebrating this time of year.  Know what?  They still had Christmas. 

Christmas isn’t always the number of gifts, or how much it costs, the foods, the expressions.  It’s an acknowledgement, a prayer, a remembrance, a pausing and a giving of thanks for the gifts we’ve already received. 

Christmas is BIG on love.  Love for others.  Love from others.  Love for a God big enough to come down to the smallest of Christmas experiences and give peace and hope.

What do I need this Christmas?

Peace

And

Hope

… for All Mankind!


Something to think on,
in less than 60 seconds.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration