Wednesday, November 21, 2018

A Cultural Understanding of Thanksgiving


A Cultural Understanding of Thanksgiving

I was talking with three co-workers yesterday about Thanksgiving and the foods we would enjoy.  We were a mixed group – Hispanic, Asian, and two Americans.

Karen, my Asian friend, began describing some of the foods on their table tomorrow.  I can’t even remember it all – except something sweet with pomegranates. 

Rico, my Hispanic friend, also called out some
strange-sounding (to me) food choices.

  Frank and I, the Americans in the group, named foods that I was more familiar with.  I introduced them to Chess pie. 
Bottom line – we all were entering into this week with a sense of giving thanks for what we have – family, life, health, jobs, friends and of course the food.

Thanksgiving is a day in our year – yet it is a spirit that survives every day we live. 

I am thankful … today, tomorrow, and on Friday, after the gathering times, and in the middle of the left-overs.


Something to think on,
in less than 60 seconds.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration